Taking inventory

I stopped by the grocery store on my way home from work the other day and picked up a few things. As I was waiting in line behind a lady and her child, I looked down at my food items on the conveyer belt and made a quick assessment of my purchases.
  • Green Tea ... good
  • Lean Cuisine Frozen Entrees (3) ... ok
  • Organic Milk ... good
  • Delissio Garlic Pizza ... not good
  • Whole wheat crackers ... good
  • Organic Tomatoes ... good
  • Nestle Hazelnut Coffee Mate ... not good
So I'm not perfect. I now have a choice ... I can focus on my short comings, or I can focus on my successes. In the end, I make peace with myself by telling myself that someday I will find a healthier substitute for my coffee mate ( I only have 1 cup of coffee in the morning daily anyway ), and I hope to find a healthier whole wheat crust pizza soon. I should be proud of my better nutritional choices, and give myself credit for striving to live a healthier lifestyle.

As the new year approaches, I know I won't be alone in self evaluation. Many people make New Year's resolutions in the hopes of leaving bad habits behind and improving themselves. I don't think there is anything wrong with that ... it's another opportunity to improve and
possibly correct some less than healthy lifestyle choices.

Recently I also came across an article on The Top Five Regrets of The Dying.
  1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
  2. I wish I didn’t work so hard.
  3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
  4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
  5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
After reading the article, I of course did a quick assessment of my life and the person I've become. I think I am doing pretty well overall with these ... of course, it may be difficult to be truly objective until faced with death.

When it comes to self evaluation, my experience has been that women tend to be harder on themselves than men. I don't know why this is, but ladies - it's in your best interest to LIGHTEN UP : )

There is nothing wrong with self assessment from time to time. Without growth and change we stagnate.

In the end I believe it is important to really encourage yourself. Focus on your gains ... be aware of areas that could use some improvement, but don't flog yourself to death over them. When you realize that you are headed in the right direction, smile and keep going. As time passes each improvement in your life will build toward a healthier life for you and those around you.

~Pete Szekely

Comments