Health Nuts

I've suspected it for sometime now ... the evolution over the past few years - leading me in a direction I've never been on ...


For most of my life I'd been an average member of the masses. Like most people ... eating and drinking like most others ... being a good little consumer ... accepting, trusting ... living like most. Occasionally hearing rumblings of health news, but overwhelmed and paralyzed by information overload - conflicting data left me confused, so I simply kept doing what I'd always been doing.


I'm not the same person I was 10 or 20 years ago. I read labels, research diet and health related information, and I am more selective about what I consume. I try to eat smarter, stay active and get enough sleep. I have made better health more of a priority in my life.


I am a health nut.


Recently, someone said it out loud ... and while I'd kind of known it for a while, to actully hear it knid of solidifies it.


OK ... it could be worse - if I have to be some kind of nut, a health nut is not so bad.


I tend to overcompinsate. So, at some point a while back, I changed my evil ways and saw the light - haliluah.


The whole health thing can be a kind of religion. There are those that beieve organics is a waste of money and a big scam. Us health nuts believe that traditional processed foods most often contribute to many of our health problems. Whatever you believe, you can count on yourself to find ways to justify your beliefs and actions ... it helps to reassure ourselves that we are on the right path.


Now remember - it's all relative ... in comparison to many elite athletes, I am probably just another average Joe ... if you were to compare my diet to someone who loves their pepsi, french fries and fast food every week, I might look like a health nut.


I know I'm not alone. There is a quiet revolution gaining momentum. The wheels are turning slowly, but they are turning. There are more organics in the supermarkets these days. Social media helps expose deceitful, greedy companies. More and more people are making healthier choices.


Our perceptions of one another are limited to the little slices of ourselves we share with others. The labels we attach are based on little snippets of who we are ... but people are usually more than just one thing.


I was having a conversation with a student the other day about this. One person can be many things. I am, or have been, a driver, a network lab administrator, a DJ, an extra ... a roadie, a husband, a stage manager, a web designer, a patient, a salesman, a father, a waiter, an actor, a student, an educator, a brother, a student council president, a cyclist, a clerk at a video store, a blogger ...


We can be anything we want in life. I may not be famous or rich, but I like where I am. All the things I've done and all the people I've know have brought me to where I am today and I am happy to be here.


I have a wonderful loving, supportive spouse, I work at a wonderful school with terrific kids and caring staff, and I am on a path to better health.


~ Pete "Health Nut" Szekely

Comments