A Birthday Introspection

One of the best things I like about birthdays is the opportunity to reflect. For better or for worse, I tend to do this often enough, but especially at this time even more so.

I love me. It's been quite a journey to get to a place where I can say that. There have been many, many days where my self esteem has been very poor (and there are still days where insecurities temporarily win battles) ... but I now am at a place in my life where I can say that I am proud of who I strive to be and some of the twists and turns that have brought me here.

It's a funny thing ... you have to love yourself to be successful, yet you have to also try not to be too self centered. Self love, empathy, gratitude, focussing on the positive aspects of life, being able to forgive yourself , trying to be humble - yet confident... all these aspects of trying to strike a balance to be a thriving, healthy, successful individual. It's hard to be objective about yourself ... I hope I am close to that sweet spot somewhere in that healthy middle ground ... all I can do is try my best.

Who am I? How did I get here? How's life?

There are many things I love about who and where I am today ... I am healthy, debt free, active and proud of many things. I am far from perfect, but I hope that my intentions lead me to positive places more often than not..

One of the things I struggle with at times these days is that inside I still feel like I`m in my late 20`s ... but physically, I am quite a bit older. I`m sure that`s a common thing ... I feel younger than I am, and in many ways that`s good. They say "you're as young as you feel"  :-)

I try to continue grow, improve, and learn. I aim to be open, to be aware and empathetic. I look for win - win opportunities and strive to make the world a better place in little ways here and there.

Currently I am alone. I have never been alone in my life  I have no partner, no real friends here and no family. In some ways that has shown me things ... I have had to grow and rise to the challenge. Flying solo forces me to be stronger and more independent at times. I have learned that I can survive by myself, and the insecurities, destructive dark thoughts and loneliness are struggles in my head that can be dealt with. I am likely just "between relationships" ... I am open to good things if they come into my life and welcome the opportunity to enjoy shared experiences with someone who I might be honored enough to share part of the journey with. If I spend the rest of my life alone, I will make the best of it and carry on with strength and determination.

I have had a fun and interesting journey ...
I've been a wolf cub, a roadie, an extra, a delivery driver, and actor, a Dee Jay, a cab driver, a husband, a waiter, a salesman, a draftsman, a stage manager, a step father ... I am an educator, a traveler, a web designer, a blogger, a cyclist, a volleyball player... and the journey continues :-)



Of course there have been struggles ... those challenges have helped make me who I am. There are good days and not so good days ... just like most of us. Some days I feel invisible ... some days I feel happy, present and successful. My struggles pale in comparison to many others. I am grateful for my struggles - they have brought me resilience, confidence and character. I have learned to take care of myself. I have learned that there is no better advocate for my own well being than me. I have learned that I have the strength to overcome challenges that life has brought my way ... nothing is permanent, and I have what it takes to succeed.


I am so grateful ... there's food in the fridge, gas in the tank (of my Camaro) , I have air conditioning, a dishwasher and in suite laundry in my apartment, I am debt free, I have jobs I love, I am healthy and active ...  My life is filled with travel, live sporting events and concerts ... I am so blessed - thank you universe :-)

I have learned much in my journey so far, and know there is much more to learn as well. I am proud of who I am and continue to look forward to further adventures, good times and making new happy memories. In this huge machine we call mankind, I know I am just a small cog ... I have a good heart, strive to live a life of meaning and have faith that even better things are on the horizon :-)

You have to love yourself. 
If you don't, you owe it to yourself and those that love you
 to find out why you might not, and work on it.

THE BASIC PRINCIPLES OF SELF-LOVE
"Who we are is more important than what we do." 
"We are valuable. Nothing can change that."

ABOUT MISTAKES
  • Self-loving people know that they often make mistakes.
  • Since they live their lives for the joy they can find, they do a lot of experimenting and try many new things.
  • Since they aren't dumb (or self-destructive), these experiments work out well most of the time- but sometimes they do go wrong.
  • When this happens, self-loving people are not surprised!
  • They simply apologize if necessary, fix anything that can be fixed, and move on.....
  • Self-loving people are responsible, not guilty.
  • Self-loving people don't make many excuses especially to themselves.

IN RELATIONSHIPS
  • Since self-loving people tend to treat themselves well...
  • They see fun and enjoyment as a primary goal most of the time (even when it is hard to attain).
  • They do not tolerate mistreatment by others.
  • They are caring toward others. (It feels better to be that way.)
  • They never put anyone else first. (Even those they love are "a close second.")

I hope to continue to evolve, grow and improve ... ( and share much of things I learn with you) ... I know that I make mistakes, and that's OK. I am human. Mistakes have taught me much over the years :-)  I try to learn from missteps when I can ...
There are lots of days when I struggle (like many others) ... but  Today, I celebrate ME.



━═★ [̲̅̅H̲̅][̲̅̅A̲̅][̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅]  [̲̅̅B̲̅][̲̅̅I̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅T̲̅][̲̅̅H̲̅][̲̅̅D̲̅][̲̅̅A̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ★═━ 

Comments